Ever since the launch of the MacBook Air i’ve wanted to be able to use Remote Disc on my 3rd gen MacBook. I hate slot loading optical drives with a passion…. I thought apple would have enabled Remote Disc for all machines but they sadly didnt.
I have recently found some bits and pieces on various sites and it seems you can use it on any mac not just a macbook air. The only thing that doesn’t work is the remote install.
- Download the DVD or CD Sharing software for Windows or Mac OS X and install it
- On the mac run the following commands in Terminal
- defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
- defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true
- Restart both machines to be sure that the install/settings took
- You know should be able to mount any cd/dvd over the network